Monday, August 25, 2008

R.I.P Montreal Olympic Velodrome (1976-1989)


Montreal's Olympic Velodrome in it's Olympic glory



We really enjoyed the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and we wore our fav Reporters Without Borders Olympic t-shirt with pride!

We remember when Montreal had the olympics, when Montreal had the Olympic velodrome, and we even remember riding on the track before evil zoohead Mayor Pierre Bourque closed the velodrome and turned it into a indoor zoo.

So, take a moment and remember back when when Montreal had the finest indoor velodrome in the world.

R.I.P Montreal Olympic Velodrome (1976-1989)


Montreal's Olympic Velodrome today

2 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rode the velodrome in 1979 & 1980. It was awsome. I may have even set a track record for the quickest fall! It was my 1st time at a velodrome. I got 3/4 of the way around and was too chicken to get up on the bank and so I stayed on the painted plywood apron. Who knows how fast I was going when the bike slid but I fell hard. After a trip to the hospital I came back and got the hang of it!

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous junctionist said...

It's incredible that after the herculean effort to build it, pouring millions of concrete into the ground to stabilize it, working 24/7 in a failed attempt to open it by the 1974 world cycling championships, and going 4 and a half times over the initial estimated budget, it was decommissioned as a velodrome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home